wine club tapped in

Tapped In

Wine Club

More Info
news and offers

News & Offers

Email Address


Join Now

Categories

Bodega y Vindeos O.Fournier

 

 

 

 

 

ofournier-logo-also-in-iphoto-.png

 

Our Wines: Please click here to view wines.

Location: La Consulta, Valle de Uco – Mendoza, Argentina

Terroir: The La Consulta region is located in the well-known Valle de Uco, approximately 1,200 metres above sea level. At this altitude, there is a significant fluctuation between day and night-time temperatures around 20°-25°C. This variance is particularly favourable to the production of wines with excellent colour and suitability for long ageing in oak barrels.

The region’s stony and sandy soils offer excellent drainage during the summer season. The lack of organic material, limited rainfall and prevailing winds are also conductive to high quality, healthy grapes. Furthermore, the water that irrigates the estates comes pure and clean from the snow thawing on the Andes.


Bodega y Viñedos O. Fournier aims to build a new winery equipped with the latest technology. It will have a capacity of 600,000 litres in stainless steel, oak, and cement vats, ranging from 6,500 to 25,000 litres in capacity. The new winery has been designed to work with gravity to minimise the use of pumps. The underground cellar will be able to hold up to 2,800 oak barrels at a constant temperature and humidity.Winery: At the foot of the Andes Mountains, at the turn of the millennium, the Spanish family Ortega Gil-Fournier founded a small 'boutique' winery in La Consulta, in the province of Mendoza, Argentina. The winery is located on a 650-acre farm in the district of San Carlos, 130 km from Mendoza City, Argentina.

As its vines will take 10 to 15 years to mature to the quality it requires, Bodega y Viñedos O. Fournier is currently cooperating with local producers. The company analysed over 170 estates ultimately signing long-term contracts with all 12 of its selected producers. To ensure the grapes are of the highest quality, the suppliers work closely with Bodega y Viñedos O. Fournier in vine and grape management, in particular by limiting the use of fertilisers, treatments and irrigation, green harvesting, and harvesting the grapes manually with the company’s own workers. This will allow Bodega y Viñedos O. Fournier to secure high quality grapes with an average yield of 1-1.5 kg per vine.

Winemaking: The winery works with leading international suppliers, mainly from France, Italy, Portugal and Spain, for its winemaking processes. The grapes are picked manually, by the company's own workers, and placed in 18 kg boxes, allowing the Bodega to control the quality of the grapes right from the vineyard. The best grape clusters are selected at a sorting table, with a secondary sorting table, introduced in the 2002 harvest, for the removal of stalks. The winery uses a crushing-destemming machine, with adjustable stainless steel rolls. Only half of their grapes are crushed. The grapes fall inside the vats using gravity, avoiding the use of pumps.

Fermentation occurs in the winery´s stainless steel vats that are equipped with a hot and cold water device. Since the 2002 harvest, the company has used dry ice for the cold maceration of its best wines. For the pressing of the grapes, the winery uses a vertical hydraulic basket press with electronic pressure control for pressing the marc. The ageing process takes place in 225 litre barrels, with 80 per cent made of French oak and the rest of American oak. The barrels are stored in underground cellars, where temperature and humidity are strictly controlled. The winery purchases barrels from prestigious coopers in France, Spain and the USA.

Vineyards: Bodega y Viñedos O. Fournier owns three estates – Finca Santa Sofía, Finca San Manuel, and Finca San José – some 15 km from the Andes Range, covering 286 ha. A total of 94 are currently planted with vines, some of which are over 30 years old.

Bodega y Viñedos O. Fournier purchased Finca San Manuel and Finca San José to allow it to meet 30 per cent of its grape requirements for the first harvests. It buys the other 70 per cent from high quality vineyards of local producers, with whom it has established long-term agreements. The company aims to acquire more old vineyards, bringing its total to 40 ha.

People:

Grupo O. Fournier

  •          José Mario Spisso – Chief Winemaker

O. Fournier Mendoza, Argentina 

  •          Ramiro Balliro – Winemaker

Websitewww.ofournier.com